Why use natural beauty products?
Well I like to use natural because I believe it’s better for my health And wellbeing.
I’m very sensitive to chemicals in beauty products, house hold cleaning products etc…hey I’m an all round sensitive person.
So I find using all natural stuff much better for my skin, hair and general health and well-being- the less chemicals the better.
I suffered acne in my teens and get rashes and issues from using chemical products. I’ve suffered from hormonal issues for most of my adult life too, so decided a few years ago to switch to natural products.
This goes for my diet too and well my whole lifestyle really. I’ve found it’s helped massively, not just the physical stuff but my Inner self too. Practicing selfcare ( for me is living a natural healthy lifestyle) has improved my life all round.
So there’s a huge benefit to doing what’s right for you, regardless of what anyone else thinks or does.
When I was younger I hated being “sensitive” so I tried to push it a way, hide from it, ignore it and ” be tougher” until my health got so bad I had to do something about it….if I wanted my health back.
So I learned to except that I’m sensitive and also learned to be true to myself. So bit by bit slowly I changed one thing at a time.
I changed my bad habits ( smoking, caffiene, sugar, junk food, and chemical products) into healthier habits with healthier alternatives.
That’s what we need to know – most of the day to day things we do, eat, watch, read, think, feel, our behaviours..ect..are habits.
“If you want to change your life, you need to start changing your daily habits”
I learned ( the hard way ) that you can’t just quit stuff, you feel then that you are sacrificing and going with out….which didn’t feel good. So I realised, you can swap the old unhealthy things with healthier versions – that’s when my mind-set started to change for the better. You don’t have to give up stuff, you just change stuff – healthy transformation.
Benifits of natural beauty products
• No harmful chemicals • healthier skin & hair • less likely to have adverse side effects • gentler on skin & hair • nourishment for skin & hair • good for the environment • less risk of hormonal imbalances • less risk to health issues
• Natural beauty products usually contain essential oils – they smell great and you get all the health & wellbeing benefits of the oils.
You can buy natural beauty products from all over nowadays and why not learn how to make your own.
Harmful chemicals in beauty products
• Parbans – cheap preservatives uses in cosmetics, body washes, Deoderant, shampoos, moisturizers, facial cleansers. Cam be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream. It can be stored and keep piling up in the system. Parbans can mimic estrogen s in the body – disrupting the natural hormonal balance. There also been a link to breast cancer and found or identified in breast tumours.
• Fragrance/perfume – are often a cocktail of usually about 14 different chemicals, but are hidden from the ingredients lists. This can lead to harmful effects on the body 30% of allergic reactions are due to fragrance blends that are in skin care products. Found in perfume/cologne, hair products, Deoderant, air freshener, scented candles, melts, diffusers, even baby products and anything scented.
• Phthalates – is used in many products to increase flexibility and soften plastics. Known for endocrine ( hormonal ) disruptors and liked to breast cancer, development in girls and reproductive defects. Also linked to ADHD, diabetes and asthma. Found in nail varnish, shampoos, creams, moisturizers, purfume, Deoderant, hair spray, hair dye.
• Sodiem lauryl sulfate – are responsible for creating a rich, suddy lather. Can be found in 90% of personal care and cleaning products. Known to be skin, lung and eye irritants. Can cause kidney and respiratory issues when mixed with other chemicals usually created during manufacturing processes. Found in shampoos, soaps, body washes, cleansers for hands, face or body- anything that that foams up.
• Propylene Glycol – A skin conditioner used in many skin/hair personal care products. The chemical can penetrate the skin deeply causing organ toxicity, irritation to the eyes, skin and lungs – from long term exposure. It’s used in brake fluid, paints and ani freeze. It can seep into the bloodstream and allow other harmful chemicals to seep in to the bloodstream, that otherwise wouldn’t on their own. Linked to inflammation and irritation of the skin, can cause dry skin. Found in moisturizers, cosmetics, sun Cream, conditioners, shampoos, hair spray, Deoderant, ice Cream processed foods.
• Triclosan – A chemical used as a preservative in skin care products. Can disrupt the natural hormonal balance and weaken immune system. It can build up over time in the fat cells. Triclosan is widely used in antimicrobial chemicals. Found in antibacterial soap and cleansing products, hand sanitizer, Deodorant and toothpaste.
• Petroleum – May cause some major health concerns like cancers and nerve damage. Petroleum based ingredients can penetrate the skin into the bloodstream. Linked to rate of tumour growth. Found in moisturizing products like lip balm.
• Synthetic colour – Usually derived from petroleum, skin irritant, linked to ADHD. Found in cosmetics, lipstick, eyeshadow, colourful personal care products, processed foods and confectionery.
• Formaldehyde – A preservative used in many cosmetics, personal care and cleaning products. Linked to cancers and inhibits immune system. Found in nail polish/remover and treatments, conditioners, shampoos, cleansers, eyeshadow, hairdye, body washes and cleaning products.
• Toluene – May be listed as Benzene, Toluol, Menthylbenzene, Phenylalanine on the ingredients. It’s a potent solvent able to remove paint. It effects the respiratory system, causes nausea, irritates the skin. Linked to immune system toxicity. Pregnant women should avoid exposure to the vapours as it may cause birth defects. Found in nail varnish/remover/treatments, hairdye, house cleaning products.
I hope you enjoyed this post or it helped you. Let me know in the comments
Love Marie x