It’s that time of year again when the nights are getting longer and days are shorter
It can have a huge effect on some of us, our moods.
Less daylight/sunshine means we get less vitamin D ( the sunshine vitamin) Vitamin D helps our body’s produce happy, feel good hormones like serotonin…which help to stabilise and boost our moods.
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). SAD is a type of depression that comes on in the winter months but lifts in the springtime/summer. It’s thought to be caused by lack of daylight/sunshine during autumn and winter. Some find light therapy helpful.
It’s important for your well-being to get out and get at least 20 minutes day of daylight/sunshine.
It is hard though especially on rainy/cloudy days when you’d rather stay indoors and hibernate like I do.
Let’s look at some mood boosters to help you through the autumn/winter months.
• Daylight/sunshine – try your best to get at least 20 mins a day.
• Music – listen to up beat, sing your heart out or dance your socks off.
• Look at family/friends photos – fun times, days out..etc I look at pics of my grandkids and it works everytime.
• Smile – think of all the things that make you smile.
• Buy some flowers – arrange them beautifully to brighten your room.
• Laugh – Watch a funny movie or videos.
• Hugs – hug someone you love..aarrh♡
• Do or start a hobby – something you really enjoy
• Fun – do something fun or go have some fun.
• Exercise – to boost your mood and energy. Even a nice walk, preferably outside will help even more.
• Relaxing bath or shower – I love salt baths because they give me a boost of magnesium too.
• Read – Something positive or the type of books you enjoy.
• Phone/message – a friend or loved ones and have a good chat.
• Meditate – give yourself some you time to relax…peace.
• Nature – If you can’t go out into nature, look at nature pictures or buy some houseplants.
• Foods to help boost your mood: Brazil nuts, oily fish, oats, bananas, lentils, chicken, Turkey, spinach, cereals, dark chocolate..Mmm.
Do you feel SAD this time of the year? Have you got any “moodbooster” ideas that help you? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Love Marie ♡