Using essential oils
I love using essential oils, my all time favourite is lavender. Although I know a lot of people don’t like the smell, I love it. I also love the benefits too. It’s been a god send to me over the years because it helps to calm my anxiety and helps me to get off to sleep every night otherwise I suffer insomnia.
When buying essential oils, make sure you buy pure 100% essential oil. Some are just sold as perfumes and you won’t get the health benefits from them.
Lavender oil is great for the skin and used in beauty products such as, soap, shampoo, creams, lotions, bath soaks.
• Anticeptic – heals minor cuts, insect bites and burns
• Helps alleviate headaches and migraines
• Helps sores and wound healing
• Hair loss
• Fungal infections
• PMS pain and emotional symptoms
• High blood pressure
• Anxiety and nervousness
• Lavender tea helps digestive issues
Uplifting citrusy and spicy aroma is great for homemade Deoderant, body mists, creams, lotions, diffusions and even cleaning sprays. It fights infections due to its antibacterial and antibiotic properties.
Bergamot essential oil is used as flavouring in early grey tea.
• Skin care – it helps acne
• Can lower cholesterol
• Reduced pain and inflammation
• Speeds up healing
• Relieves spasms
• Digestive aid
• Relaxant – relieves anxiety
• Helps lift depression
Uplifting and balancing, it has a very refreshing aroma. Use in homemade body oils, cleansers, lotions, creams, bath soaks, room mist, diffusers and cleaning products.
• Mood booster – uplifting so helps depression
• Reduces stress and anxiety
• Relieves stomach upset
• Treats acne
• Reduces pain and inflammation
Patchouli is a floral, earthy and grounding aroma. Great for using in homemade cleansers, body oils, lotions creams, scrubs, body mists, soaks,natural Deoderant, diffusers, roll ons for meditation and yoga.
Fruity and fresh lemon essential oil is often used for natural household cleaners. Great air freshener and homemade body care products like body lotions, creams, cleansers, scrubs, diffusions. It’s very uplifting.
• Immune system booster
• May reduce anxiety and depression
• Eases morning sickness – nausea
• Good for the skin – treats acne
• Soothes a sore throat
• Pain reliever
• Helps with concentration- alertness
• Promotes wound healing
• Improves digestion
• Purifying and detoxing
Tea tree is well known for its purifying and cleansing benefits. It’s great for body care products, especially homemade. Used in scrubs, cleansers, hand sanitizer, Deoderant, mouthwash, room sprays and cleaning products.
• Boosts wound healing
• Treats dandruff
• Kills lice
• Fights acne
• Soothes irritated skin
• Natural Deoderant
Is famous for for clearing the sinuses when you have a cold or flu. It’s also good for making using in home made body care products, such as salves, rubs, body massage oil, diffusions, room mists. It’s a very purifying and cleaning essential oil.
• Relieves coughs
• Cleats chest
• Soothes cold sores
• Keeps bugs away
• Disnfect wounds
• Breath freshness
• Eases joint pain when used in creams/massage oil
Peppermint essential oil can be used in many ways, it’s uplifting and invigorating. Can be used in body oils, creams, massage oils, bath scrubs, lotion, scalp oils, hair rinses, cleansers, room mist, diffusions and salves.
• Can treat IBS and digestive issues
• Muscle pain
• Seasonal allergy relief
• Bug repellent
• Reduces nausea
• Headaches and migraines
• Menopausal symptoms and PMS
• Skin clearing – helps skin conditions
• Reduces the appearance of scars
Rosemary essential oil can be used in homemade cosmetics, from oils to lotions, shampoo, massage oils, scalp aids and gels.
Rosemary is well known for improving the memory and brain function.
• Helps to improve brain function
• Improves alertness
• Uplifting and energizing
• Eases stress and promotes relaxation
• Calms anxiety
• Reduces joint inflammation
• Stimulates hair growth
• Helps poor circulation
• Boosts immune system
• Natural antibiotic
• Natural antidepressant
• Aids liver detoxification
• May help fight some cancers
Another fantastic essential oil with so many benefits.
* Essential oils are natural, but be aware that some can still cause allergic reactions in some people*
* Always consult your Dr or health care provider before trying new essential oils if you are pregnant, breast feeding or have any medical issues or are on medication*
I hope you find this post helpful? Let me know in the comments. Do you use essential oils? What are your favourite?