We live in a busy hectic world these days, so it’s crucial that we learn to de-stress and relax more
Too much stress or prolonged stress can have a very negative effect on our health and well-being.
Every time we get stressed, big or small stressors, our brains activate the fight, flight, freeze response. This sends a signal to our body’s to produce the stress hormones.. like adrenaline and cortisol to flood the system in preparation to fight, flight or freeze, which in small doses and infrequently is good..we need this. But if there’s constantly stress and stress hormones flooding us, or over a length of time – it can cause negative effects to our health, happiness and well-being.
Symptoms of too much stress
• Upset stomach
• Aches and pains
• Chest pain
• Rapid heart beat
• Low energy
• Dry mouth
• Frequent colds or infection
• Clenched jaw
• Teeth grinding
• Muscle tension
• Constant worrying
• Inability to focus
• Racing thoughts
• Pessamistic/negative thoughts
• Avoiding responsibilities
• Changed appetite…eating too much or too little
• Nervous behaviours – nail biting, fidgeting, pacing
• Increased use of cigarettes, alcohol, drugs
The consequences of long-term stress
• Mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, personality disorders
• Obesity or eating disorders
• Skin and hair problems like – eczema, acne, psoriasis or hair loss
• Stomach/ gastrointestinal problems like – IBS, gastritis, Gerd, colitis, irritable colon
• Menstrual problems
• Cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, abnormal heart rythem, stroke, heart attacks, heart disease
• Sexual disfunction
We can’t avoid stress altogether in our everyday lives but we can look at ways to reduce the effects by de-stressing, unwinding and relaxing more. Selfcare here is a must.
Here are some ways or ideas to de-stress unwind and relax
Benefits of spending time in nature:
• Reduces stress
• Improves the mood
• Gives a sense of well-being
• Being outdoors in natural daylight/sunshine has a positive effect on mental/emotional and physical health & wellbeing as you absorb vitamin D.
• Nature is very healing
Meditation & mindfulness
• Reduces stress
• Helps to calm anxiety
• Promotes emotional health
• Enhances self-awareness
• Can generate love & kindness
• Improves sleep
• Helps control pain
• Lowers blood pressure
• Can improve mental health
• Decreases depression
Epson salt – detoxifies the system, relaxes the muscles, soothes aches and pains and magnesium is absorbed through the skin.
Himalayan salt – is a type of sea salt, it contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. Which is easily absorbed through the skin. Himalayan salt is able to generate negative ions creating a calming effect. It treats eczema, acne and psoriasis. Insomnia, poor circulation, bloating and respiratory ailments. Soothes insect bites, helps to soothe and relax, reducing stress.
Lavender essential oil
Make sure that when you buy lavender essential oil, it states ” essential ” on the label or you could be just buying simply a perfume oil that doesn’t contain the beneficial properties that are found in lavender essential oil.
Lavender essential oil is very relaxing for the body, it has a soothing effect on the nervous system – very calming. Great for de-stressing, anxiety, fatigue and depression, skin conditions, headaches, nausea, insomnia, wound healing, menstrual cramping, cold sores and acne.
Oh I do love a massage.
• Improves circulation
• Promotes relaxation
• Reduces stress hormones
• Reduces muscle tension
• Stimulates the lymphatic system
• Helps the recovery of soft tissue injuries
• Boosts the immune system
• Reduces pain
• Improves sleep
• Helps lower blood pressure
• Improves posture
Music can have a wonderful effect on the body and emotions. It’s so powerful. Listen to calming music for relaxation and upbeat that you enjoy to make you feel positive and optimistic. Music can change how you feel/your mood so choose wisely what you listen to.
Colouring, arts, crafts, knitting, sewing, baking…etc..anything creative that you enjoy doing, will help you relax and de-stress. Doing something creative encourages self-expression. It gives you freedom to create, express how ever you like..as there no wrong or right way to be an artist. Being creative actually helps you to be a better problem solver.
” Creativity is the best use of imagination, anxiety is the worst use of imagination”
• Like creativity it helps and encourages self-expression, which is really healing
• Set and achieve goals
• Organize thoughts
• Relieve stress and anxiety- by clearing the mind and pent up emotions
• Boosts memory
• Record ideas and feelings
• Inspire creativity
• Improves communication skills
• Helps to clear the head of racing thoughts
• Boosts the mood
• Helps those suffering from PTSD
• Helps to control weight
• Helps to manage sugar and insulin levels
• Strengthens bones and muscles
• Improves sleep
• Keeps your mind sharp
• Improves mental health and moods
• Reduces the risk of heart disease
• Reduces the risk of some cancers
• Improves sexual health
• Increases energy
• Boosts happy/feel good hormones
• Reduces the risk of chronic disease
• Helps skin health
• Helps reduce pain
Camomile is a very gentle herb, soothing and relaxing. It helps calm the nervous system, so helps calm down anxiety, stress and nervousness. It’s also great for getting a good night’s sleep too so very useful for insomnia. I drink a camomile tea with honey when I feel stressed or anxious and have a cup before bed for a restful sleep.
Passionflower is a herb that can be very calming for the mind. It can be taken as a tea like camomile. It can help calm anxiety and stress.
• Helps calm the mind
• Relieves anxiety
• Soothes the stomach
If you have trouble getting a good night’s sleep, or suffer from insomnia it’s going to have a negative effect on your mood. It’s going to leave you feeling…tired, irritable, easily annoyed, feeling miserable, impatient and no doubt frustrated that you haven’t the energy to do the things you want to get done…causing stress.
Lack of sleep especially long term, is bad for your overal health, happiness and well-being.
Try some of these tips to help you get a good night’s sleep, de-stress and relax more. Comment below and let me know if you have any tips that help you.
Love Marie x